Learning Management System for Saudi Arabia Medical Professionals

Background and Challenges

  • ✓   Designing a learning management system for medical professionals based in Saudi Arabia. The system was required to be extremely user friendly with a large emphasis on a low learning curve.
  • ✓   Requirements stated by the client were mostly in terms of user stories. The technical infrastructure along with feature design was to be done by DigitalSkunks based on understanding from the client.
  • ✓   Use of an open source learning management system Moodle was stated by the client. Moodle was vast in its features, but had very little customizability. Any custom development would mean extensive testing of the system with multiple plugins.
  • ✓   Most of the content was to be sourced from third party integrations or other LMS. Special provisions had to be made for this.
  • ✓   The client had very strict timelines, and the whole project was to be delivered in 3 months.

Solution

  • ✓   A CMS, Joomla, was selected by the development team for the front-end of the LMS. Joomla was then integrated with Moodle for usability features like single sign-on and profile management.
  • ✓   User stories provided by the client were divided into detailed features, which were further arranged into sprints. Agile scrum methodology was used for developing the software, with an iterative and incremental approach for developing various modules. The project was divided into 3 sprints.
  • ✓   Features for the first sprint were decided based on the 80:20 approach; 20% of the features which would be used 80% of the time were included in this sprint. The sprint was delivered to the client for UAT in 20 days.
  • ✓   Based on the feedback provided for the first sprint, the client asked for a lot of features which would be considered as Change Requests (CR). These included requests which meant changing some of the core process flows in the system.
  • ✓   Based in the CR list received, sprints 2 and 3 were drawn up again. Sprint 4 & 5 were added to the product lifecycle. All sprints were to be completed in 3 weeks each.
  • ✓   Taking into mind the diverse and changing requirements, highly customizable workflows and architecture was created to incorporate unplanned changes in the future.
  • ✓   Multiple Moodle API’s were customized to achieve the desired functionality with Joomla. API’s were written for features which were to be completely custom developed.
  • ✓   Intuitive and informative admin panel was created, to facilitate management of both Moodle and Joomla from a single portal.
  • ✓   Multiple plugins were identified and customized for features like auto-enrolment of users, tier-based payment structure, e-commerce platform for selling courses and changes in the look and feel of Moodle.
  • ✓   Paypal was integrated with the system for proceeding payments. Functionality for initiating and tracking refund was also included.
  • ✓   Customer centric features like building a support ticketing system, multi-layer security, and uniform look and feel across integrations were included in the system.
  • ✓   The system was based on Multi-tenant architecture, with a separate role for admin, managers, instructors and students.
  • ✓   The system was tested extensively, including all Moodle modules, to ensure all authorizations and access rights worked fine. Test automation softwares were used for this purpose.

Outcome: Developed a Leaarning Management System for health care professionals

  • ✓   Client was extremely satisfied with the overall look and feel of the system, and support offered in terms of accommodating the major CR’s during the development phase of the project.
  • ✓   The system was tested successfully with 500 students and due for launch to support 3000+ users, with a server side configuration to support up to 300 concurrent users.
  • ✓   The roles within the system were well defined, with a seamless experience for managers, instructors and students.
  • ✓   Third party content integrations were done successfully with features like single sign-on and content transfer using API’s.
  • ✓   A team of 4, developed the whole system in 3 months, including testing and development. This included several Change Requests from clients, which were incorporated in different sprints based on feasibility. The project was started as a fixed scope project, but during the lifecycle became extensively open in its scope. Of the final product, 60% development was as per the original scope, remaining 40% were change requests incorporated as the product evolved.
Start project
Start a Project
connect@digitalskunks.com
Work with us
Contact us
Suite 200, 913 N Market Street,
Wilmington, DE 19801, USA
(T) +1 302 518 - 6625
(F) +1 302 518 - 6628