Migrating with care for superior customer experience
Our Telecom customer in Europe has a large number of customers. With their launch of new WiFi product the business demanded a migration of 1.2 million customers to a new network profile. The business challenge required short turnaround time for these customers and had to be accomplished only during night time within a strict 4 hour window to cause minimal disruption to the customer. The upgrading of the product associated with the customer device had to be done in a seamless mode without affecting customer’s existing product setup on the network. Any disruption would mean loss of business.
To avoid any customer impact, this seamless migration activity for each customer product per device should be executed overnight within a specified time window on pre-determined dates. While planning the customer had to look for events which trigger heavy use of internet like a sport event, local football matches or an important event. This required a great amount of planning by customer and an excellent implementation by vendor.
Apart for provisioning what was crucial for this project was an ability to identify issues while upgrading and a quick corrective action in case of an error. This warranted that the team is experienced and understands the technology and process to take corrective actions based on different scenarios to support this process.
- ✓ For a major upgrade almost 1.2 million customers and devices to be migrates in a short window.
- ✓ In case an upgrade failed (work order failure) team had to trouble shoot in the same late night window and take corrective action, time was of essence. The failed work orders had to be fixed on the following day and this required close coordination between client business and technical team and our team.
- ✓ Decouple data migration issues with corrupt data and take necessary actions.
- ✓ We deployed an experienced team with deep domain and systems knowledge coupled with technology and processes.
- ✓ We carried out dry run and steady ramp-up over a period of 1 month to iron out any process bottlenecks and system failures.
- ✓ We validated successful migrations for select customers on daily basis for quality check.
- ✓ Best of migrations do result in a miniscule set of customers who have problems post migration. We worked closely with Customer Service department and monitored customer complaints for the migrated customers.
- ✓ Target devices and customers were successfully migrated to their target product on network with failure rate of less than 0.01%.
- ✓ Our team worked closely with customer and ensured that any failure is fixed within next cycle.
- ✓ Validation of sample customers and quick resolution of issues ensured that we met the target timeline for this project.
Subscribe with DigitalSkunks to stay updated.